Notes on this transcription
In transcribing this book into a computer document, I have made every attempt to accurately reproduce the text as it appears—with a few exceptions noted here. I have not tried to reproduce every aspect of the appearance of the original, such as font styles, spacing, indentation, etc. (except for the cover). Three corrections noted as errata at the end of the book have been made directly in the text. One or two obvious typographical errors were corrected, and a few questionable errors are quoted as found, with the notation “[sic].” Otherwise, I have not taken it upon myself to change or correct any perceived errors in spelling, punctuation, etc., except in the case of Rev. Johns’ peculiar habit throughout the book of placing a space before a colon or semicolon. I have retained his use of hyphens in two-word place names such as “East-Nottingham” and “New-Castle,” as well as his use of abbreviations and capitalization (or lack thereof). In a few cases, a brief comment or additional information for clarification is added in italics and square brackets, or as a footnote identified by my initials. The lists that appear in Appendices C, D, and E have been put into alphabetical order by surnames. (D and E were mostly in alphabetical order; I have made some corrections in the order.) I take full responsibility for any errors that I might have committed in copying.
A table of contents and an index, the latter consisting primarily of names of individuals and churches mentioned in the book, have been added for the convenience of readers. The index does not include the names in Appendices C, D, and E.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
REV. J. H. JOHNS
Rev. J. H. Johns,
Dear Sir—The undersigned Committee appointed by the Trustees of the Rock Presbyterian Church, respectfully request for publication your discourse delivered at the re-dedication of the church, on the 4th of July last.
C. C. Brokaw,
S. W. Morrison.
C. C. Brokaw, Charles Ramsay, S. W. Morrison,
Gentlemen—In compliance with your request, I herewith submit for your disposal the historical discourse referred to in your letter of the 4th instant.
J. H. Johns
History embalms the past, it collects the
prominent events, customs, characters and valuable experience of its times,
carefully wraps them in suitable drapery and lays them away in the archives of
the nation for preservation. Ancient
In the spring of 1720 we find no Presbyterian church in Cecil Co., Md., nearer than Bohemia Manor, none in Delaware nearer than White-Clay-Creek, and none in Chester Co., Penna., nearer than the Great Valley. The scattered people had been occasionally visited by ministers of the Gospel, but they yearned and longed to have “the Gospel settled among them.” Preachers were scarce and the people poor, and it was both difficult to secure and to support a minister. But at a meeting of New-Castle Presbytery, May 18th, 1720, we find the following record: “A certain number of people lately come from Ireland, having settled about the branches of Elk river, have by Thos. Reed and Thos. Caldwell their commissioners supplicated this Presbytery, that, at what time this Presbytery think convenient, they would appoint one of their number to come and preach among them, and then to take such notice of their circumstances and necessities, as, by his report made to this Presbytery at their next session, the Presbytery may the more clearly know how to countenance their design of having the Gospel settled among them. The said commissioners having subjected themselves to the care of this Presbytery, the Presbytery took the affair into consideration, and in compliance with the above-said supplication, the Presbytery do appoint Mr. Samuel Young to preach one day among said people, between this and the first day of July next, and to take cognizance of their circumstances, and to make report thereof to our next session.” At the next meeting of the Presbytery, June 28th, 1720, Mr. Young reported: “That he had fulfilled the appointment of our last Presbytery with respect to the people of Elk river, and after a serious inspection and inquiry into that affair, he judged that said people will in a short time, be capable to maintain a minister of the Gospel among them. Whereupon appeared here from the above-said Elk-river people two commissioners, name of James Smith and Thomas Sharp, with a letter of thanks to the Presbytery, and a petition wherein they supplicate to be formed into a congregation, and to have supplies of preaching from the Presbytery. Presbytery having deliberately considered said petition, it was put to the vote whether or not they should be erected into a congregation, and it was carried in the affirmative.” From the tenor of these records we should judge the society when organized to have been a very feeble affair. At the birth of the feeble child, who thought that it would live for 152 years?
The first supplies to the church appointed by Presbytery were Robert Cross, of New-Castle, and George Gillespie, of White-Clay-Creek.
Robert Cross was born in
Gillespie was born in
Samuel Young is the first preacher mentioned in connection
with this congregation. He was from Donaghmore,
McGill was called to Elk-river in 1721, and preached
here for nearly two years without accepting the call. He was a native of
“1722. Ran away from the Rev. D. McGill, a servant clothed with damask breeches and black broadcloth vest, broadcloth coat of copper color, lined and trimmed with black, and wearing black stockings.”
Thomas Craighead received the next call. He was born in
a Probationer from
Joseph Houston came from
After Mr. Houston left, the church was dependent on supplies for four more years. During this time it became divided into two distinct congregations, called the Old-Side and the New-Side. In 1741 there was a great schism in the Presbyterian church throughout this country, the result of the revival of religion that attended the labors of [Rev. George] Whitefield. The excitement ran high, and many unwise things were said and done by all parties. Criminations and recriminations brought about a most serious and uncalled-for division, that lasted for seventeen years. Many of our already feeble churches were divided. A portion of the Elk-river people went off with the New-Side, and formed a separate organization.
Old-Side Congregation.—This church, in 1743, having been four years without a
pastor, and two years rent asunder, did not present a very inviting field of
labor to any minister. It was a period of darkness and deep anxiety to its
friends. But God sent them that very year one of his most valuable servants,
the Rev. Alexander McDowel, who became
their second pastor. The McDowel family came from
eminent for her early piety,
native modesty, sweetness of temper and suitable conduct in every situation.
Who was born
The New-Side Congregation, organized 1741, seems to have had no regular pastor for eleven years, but only occasional supplies. In 1752, the Rev. James Finley was ordained and installed their pastor. They were unable to give a minister a competent support, but, under Mr. Finley, they became united with the Head of Elk, as the church at Elkton was then called. The Records furnish the following actions of Presbytery in reference to this union:
In 1761, Elk-river and East-Nottingham congregations, after nearly twenty years separation, became one again, under the pastoral care of Mr. Finley. They did not unite as readily as some of the divided churches, and, judging from the delay, there must have been considerable opposition to the reunion. But, through the influence and persuasion of Mr. McDowel, and the force of poverty, they at length reunited, without any formal action.
The Rev. James Finley was born in
great danger. He knelt down and prayed and prayed, and after a time arose, feeling that the danger was over. Ebenezer soon came East, and he and his father, by comparing notes, found that while the son was being pursued by the Indians, his father was on his knees praying for him! Mr. Finley applied for a dismission from Presbytery in 1777, in order to go West with his family; but his congregation and Presbytery positively refusing to let him go, he consented to stay. Still there was a field of usefulness for him in that country, and he longed to be with them. In 1782 he again applies for his dismission, and still his people protested, and Presbytery refused to grant it. As the records relating to this matter are of so much interest, we shall present them in full.
Mr. Finley’s Request.—“Finding his congregation weak, and looking on this as an additional call to provide for himself and family elsewhere, had, some years ago, procured land to the westward on easy terms—that several of his children had removed thither, and others were inclinable to follow, and that he thought it his duty to endeavor to be near them, and that though he is sorry to leave a people he has long lived in harmony with, yet thinks it will be his duty, if not removed now, to give up with his charge in a few years; but when it must be much more inconvenient, if not an insurmountable task to remove. That he thinks there is a more rational prospect of his being more useful elsewhere than here, and that the ministers where he proposes to remove are such as that he can with singular satisfaction join with in laboring to promote the kingdom of Christ; for which reasons he begged to be released from his present charge.
P.S. That when he accepted a call from part of the present united congregation of Elk, he made it a condition that his acceptance should not be considered as a bar in the way of removing to the Westward afterwards, if he should choose to do so.
Mr. Thomas Sharp and Samuel Moffat, commissioners from the congregation under Mr. Finley’s care, earnestly prayed that Mr. Finley may not be dismissed, for the following reasons:
To the Rev. Presbytery of New-Castle, sitting at Elk Meeting-house, the 23d and 24th days of April 1782.
Rev. Fathers—As our dearly beloved Rev. Pastor, Mr. James Finley, hath applied to you for a dismission from his congregation, and offered his reasons for his request, which he has favored us with a copy of; we, his auditory, constituents of said congregation do, in the most humble manner, lay before you our objections and reasons against his obtaining an absolute dismission, viz:
1st. Because we are both able and willing to give him a competent and comfortable support, and earnestly desire to render his life as happy as we can; and because it appears evident to us that the provision he has made, together with that he may make, under his present circumstances, for himself and family, by the blessing of God, sufficient. His lands to the Westward were procured on easy terms, and there are few families in these parts so well provided for; and besides there is a prospect of a further enlargement to this congregation, provided he continues in it.
2d. We readily grant that natural affection is an incumbent duty on all parents toward their children, and doubt not that such affection leads him to be near his children, who have removed to the Westward; but we think that those his affections as a parent can by no means stand in competition with his ministerial charge over, and care of, the souls in this congregation, as a pastor.
3d. Although he may fail, and in a few years be unfit to undergo all the fatigues of his ministerial labors, yet, notwithstanding, we are willing still to adhere to, and abide by, him as our pastor, without diminishing aught of his ordinary provision. Judging it right to participate and bear with his age and infirmities, seeing we have enjoyed the benefit of his youth and vigor; nor is there any just ground for him to dread being involved in any insurmountable difficulties arising from his continuance here, for we will succor him during his life, and finally bury his remains carefully in the silent dust.
4th. As to the probability of his being more useful elsewhere, this we conceive ought to be weighed with the great desolations and darkness that will as probably take place amongst us in consequence of this removal. This is more than probable, for it seems evident to us; and such an evil ought not to be promoted here that a probable good may be effected elsewhere. Who knows how soon the showers of grace may descend on this, indeed, almost barren vineyard, and his labors with blessings, even here in this parched soil. Alas! the laborers in God’s vineyard in this part of the country are few. In twenty miles around there are only two pastors to administer sealing ordinances, and where are the candidates?
5th. We are glad that our pastor is so well pleased with those ministers to the Westward, because he can the more cheerfully commit the spiritual concerns of his children there to their care, and as to their temporal concerns, he can as readily commit that to the Divine Providence. These considerations may afford him sufficient satisfaction and content of mind in their absence. And we rejoice to hear that the wild world inclines to reform, and are blessed with faithful watchmen; but it would still be an additional joy and comfort to us if Mr. Finley could obtain such singular satisfaction in union with the ministers here as he expects to enjoy with those to the Westward, in the government of Christ’s kingdom; the which we believe he does not,—the cause of which is known to this Rev. Presbytery, as we suppose, and the remedy in their power to apply.
6th and lastly. Mr. Finley mentions a condition made when he accepted a call from part of this congregation, viz: that his acceptance should not be considered as a bar in the way of his removing to the Westward afterwards, if he should choose to do so. As to this, we observe: that it is customary and necessary, in the very nature of contracts, that each party contracting hear and understand all the terms and conditions on which they agree. But this congregation of Elk have not heard of that condition mentioned by Mr. Finley, until the time he applied for a dismission. Ergo, &c. There was no intimation of it at the time he was ordained to this congregation, nor did the Rev. Presbytery loose Mr. Finley from his first charge, and install him to the congregation again, when it was enlarged by the union of another part; nay, they countenanced the union, and looked upon the people who came in, as being under the same obligations to Mr. Finley as his first people, and he under the same to them; and to
suppose Mr. Finley engaged to one part, and at liberty to desert from the other part at any time he chose, does not to us seem very consistent; and the one part coming in and taking him for their pastor also, could not weaken nor alter his first engagements. If Mr. Finley proposed this condition to the Rev. Presbytery, and if it was accepted of by them their minutes will show;—but how the Rev. Presbytery could dispense with such a condition, or pass the same without the approbation of, or even without any intimation thereof being given to, this congregation, we must leave to the Rev. Presbytery themselves to demonstrate. And may the Eternal Spirit of Truth lead you into all Truth, and out of all error, that ye may all speak the same thing, and be of the same mind, and of the same judgment. Amen.”
From the action of Presbytery he appealed to
Synod, and had it set aside. He took his family West in the Spring
of 1783, but New-Castle Presbytery never dismissed him until 1785, when, June
1st, he was received by Old-Redstone Presbytery. He became pastor of Rehoboth and Round-Hill congregations, which he had organized during
his previous visits to
Mr. Finley left about the close of the Revolution. The people were impoverished and demoralized, and the national currency depreciated by the protracted struggle. The land was poor and unproductive, and the new lands in the West became about this time a great attraction. Multitudes went West. For these and other reasons, the churches were in great straits, and unable to secure or support pastors. This church had its full share of the trials of the times. Mr. Finley was popular, and when he went West many of his people followed him. Presbytery still continued to send supplies. Often they had no preaching for months at a time, and in 1795 we have no record of any supply to this pulpit. Still the organization lived, and made repeated efforts to secure a pastor.
The Rev. John Burton, a licentiate from
congregation for their favorable opinion of me, and the unanimity they have
showed in giving me a call to be their pastor. My wish is,
that they and I be further acquainted. I declare my willingness to labor statedly among them till your next meeting of Presbytery,
in April and go through the congregation in a course of visitation and
examination. And that they have their choice to give, a call to me then, and I
my choice to accept or refuse; that this call be lodged with the Trustees of
the congregation till that time, and that they will pay according to their
subscriptions, for the time intervening.” Having preached for them nearly a
year, he declined their call, and accepted one to
The Rev. Francis Hindman received a call from this congregation and that of New-London, in 1790, but Presbytery refused to place the call in his hands until the difficulty with the Lewes Presbytery about his licensure was adjusted. A decided opposition to his installation, by a part of the congregation, prevented him from ever becoming its pastor, although he supplied the pulpit for about a year.
The Rev. John E. Latta was the next to receive a united call, in
April 1800, from this church and that of New-London. About the same time he
received and accepted a call to
The Rev. Samuel Leacock acted as stated supply to this people for four
years. He was received by Presbytery of Philadelphia,
The Rev. John Waugh was the chief supply from 1804 to 1806. During
1805, he gave one-half his time to this people, and the other half to
White-Clay-Creek. He was licensed
The Rev. Robert Graham came from
New-London declining to unite again in the support of a pastor, the Rock found it difficult to obtain a preacher, and for six years was chiefly dependent on supplies from Presbytery.
The Rev. Andrew Jardine was born
Rev. Abraham DeWitt was born Dec. 2d, 1798, in Warren co., N. J., educated at Easton, Pa., Bloomfield, N. J., and Princeton Seminary, was licensed Oct. 6th, 1831, ordained as an evangelist Oct. 30th, 1832, and sent as a Domestic Missionary, for one year, to Great Bend, Penn. Nov. 14th,
was installed pastor of Lewes, Coolspring and
Indian-River churches, of Delaware, where he remained until Nov. 22d, 1838.
After teaching some time at Princeton, N. J., he began preaching to this
people, Sept. 20th, 1840, and became their pastor Sep. 13th, 1841, and
continued in that relation until April 10th, 1855. He married, Sep. 27th, 1832,
Miss Anna, daughter of Abraham Terhune,
Rev. George Marshal was ordained and installed pastor of this
The present pastor was
Few churches have had such a variety of names. It was at
first called the New-Erection, on the branches of Elk-river, then Elk-river,
Great Elk, Upper Elk, and Elk. During the schism from 1741 to 1761, the
Old-Side congregation was called Elk, and the New-Side East-Nottingham; and
after the reunion in 1761, it is occasionally called Elk, but generally
East-Nottingham. The first time that the name Rock appears on the records is
Oct., 1787; then we see no more of Rock until 1793, from which time to the
present this has been the only name. By an act of the General Assembly of
Maryland, in 1801, it was incorporated as “The Rock Presbyterian Church, in
North Milford Hundred, Cecil county, State of
The first building was located at the Stone-Graveyard, Lewisville, Chester co., and was probably a small log house, with no floor, no fireplace, and a few small windows. In those days the people provided their benches or pews according to their own taste and means, and there was no doubt a variety of the “high and low seats in the synagogue.” In this house occurred the strife about seats, which was settled by Presbytery in 1725, as we have already stated.
The second building was erected by the New-Side about 1741, at Sharp’s Graveyard. It was a frame, covered with clap-boards, and was a decided advance on the original house. When the Old and New sides united under
Mr. Finley, in 1761, they worshipped for a short time at Sharp’s Graveyard. We know not what became of this house; tradition says it was removed to the present Cleaver property, and converted into a barn.
The third building was erected in 1761, by the united congregations under Mr. Finley. It was built of stone, and its dimensions precisely the same as those of the present house. It had three doors—one in each end, about ten feet from the east side, and one midway in the west side. Between the end doors was a wide aisle, running the entire length of the church, in which were the long benches or tables used at the communions. About the middle of the east side stood the massive, elaborately-carved blue pulpit, perched high up against the wall, with an immense sounding-board projecting overhead along the ceiling. A rounding stairway of ten or twelve steps ran up the pulpit on the south side, while beneath the pulpit, in front, was a boxed-up space for the choir, which in those days consisted of one man, “the clark.” From the pulpit to the door, in the west side, was a medium sized aisle, and some eight or ten feet from each end of the church, and running from the long aisle toward the west side, were two narrow aisles. The pews rose in amphitheatre style as they approached the walls. The back pews along the two ends, also those along the west side, were high boxes, with small blue balustrades in the front. The pews had doors, and were without paint. The floor was made of plaster. The two large posts that supported the ceiling, as well as the doors, and the window frames were, like the pulpit, painted blue. The architecture of that church was very common in those days. In 1805 the building received a new roof, and at different times was repaired, but in 1844 it was thoroughly remodeled and modernized.
The fourth building. After twenty-seven years, the floor, the roof, and the inside generally, needed repairing. The congregation began the work, and kept on repairing, until to-day we enter a virtually new house. What a contrast between the fourth building and the first big house, the second clap-boarded frame one, and the antiquated third!
For nearly one hundred years, this church was the only place where the people of this entire community, for miles around, assembled to pay their homage to the living God. For the want of records, we know not how many have had their names on its roll of membership; but we do know that a great multitude of such as we are already saved and crowned in glory, here learned the way of Eternal Life. During Mr. Graham’s ministry, we hear of two revivals—one in 1822, when eleven were received as members, and in 1832, when over thirty professed their faith. While Mr. DeWitt was pastor, eight united at one time, seven at another, and in 1844, twenty came out on the Lord’s side. Mr. Marshall’s heart was made glad in 1858, when twenty-three stood up for Jesus. During the present pastorate, this church has been blessed with three precious ingatherings: in 1865, twelve; in 1867, twenty-four, and in 1870, twenty-seven. Besides these special out-pourings, God’s Spirit has been ever descending upon the church like the gentle dew, refreshing its members, and adding to it daily of such as are saved. The work of no church can be fully estimated, because so much of its influence is silent and unseen; its very presence restraining from evil, and awakening thoughts of God and eternity. For one hundred and fifty-two years this church has strengthened the weak, led the blind and given the oil of joy for mourning in multitudes of souls. If your slumbering ancestors could to-day rise from their graves, O, how they would bless this dear old church, for what their ears have heard and their hearts here felt!
The Rev. Mr. Graham, about 1819, organized a Sabbath school
in this church. Hitherto the religious instruction of the young had been
confined to the families, but now the church, for the first time, enters upon
this new and most important feature of its work. It would be exceedingly
interesting to know who were the teachers and what was
the order of exercises in that school. How far—far has the Sabbath-school work
grown beyond the expectations of its friends! This church has done a work for
education that should be placed on record. In its early days, schools and
school teachers were scarce, and many of the ministers not only preached but
taught. The Rev. Alexander McDowell [sic] was a great teacher. When Dr.
Allison [sic (Alison)] went to
Philadelphia, Mr. McDowell took charge of the Synod’s school that was at
New-London, and established it on his farm, a mile west of Brick-Hill, in this
county, where it remained from 1752 to 1767. In 1754, the Rev. Matthew Wilson was associated with Mr. McDowell in this
school, the former teaching the classics and the latter mathematics and
philosophy. In 1767, Mr. McDowell removed the school to
Sons of this Church. This church has been singularly blessed in raising up young men for the ministry. The original Latta family, that afterwards became so
noted for its learned and eloquent preachers, came from
The Rev. James Latta was born in
The Rev. James Dunlap was born in
Rev. Joseph Alexander was the son of Theophilus
Alexander, an elder of this church, who
lived in Cecil co., on the road running from Cowantown
to Kimbleville, just north of where it crosses the
telegraph road to
Rev. John Finley was the oldest son of the Rev. James Finley.
He also graduated at
Rev. Francis Hindman belonged to an Irish family that lived, during his boyhood, one mile and a half south-west of Carter’s Mills. His mother was a member of this church.
Rev. William Maffit was a son of Samuel Maffit, an elder of this church.
Having been licensed
The Rev. Thomas Miller was born in 1770. His mother was an earnest christian member of this church. At an early age he became an active member himself, but was never an elder. About 1808, he joined the M. E. church, and in 1809 entered the ministry of that denomination, and for nearly forty years labored most efficiently in Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland, for the extension of his Master’s kingdom. He died in 1848, and was buried at the Union M. E. Church. he left a large family, that have been active supporters of that society for many years. The Rev. T. B. Miller, of Philadelphia Conference, is a grandson.
Rev. Isaac Hall, son of Isaac and Mary
Hall, was born
Rev. James Beverlin Ramsey, D.D., son of
James and Sarah Ramsey,was born at Cherry Hill,
both the father and the grandfather Wilson repose in the
Rev. Samuel J. Donnelly was born was born Sept. 23d, 1829, near Mount
Rocky M. E. Church, Chester co., Pa.; was educated at New-London Academy,
Delaware College, Bangor and Princeton Seminaries, graduating at the last
institution, April 1863. He united with the Rock, on examination,
The present pastor came to this locality when six years old; spent his boyhood one mile west of Lewisville, Chester co., Pa; attended Sabbath school and religious services of this house; joined this church Oct. 27th, 1849; was never a member of any other church, and has been preaching here since the first Sabbath of Nov., 1861.
Mr. Finley’s influence, many of the early citizens of this
region, as well as members of the church, settled in
The people were widely scattered, and preachers scarce; and the amount of preaching at any one place, in the year, even though favored with a pastor, was small. When they did come together it was important to hear as much as possible; hence the sermons were long, usually over an hour, and there were always two of them in a day, with an hour or half hour interval. “Taking the Sacrament” was a great event, the preparation and attendance alike large. The Thursday previous was observed as a fast day, with preaching on Friday and Saturday, as well as on the Monday following. The communicants had to provide themselves with small leaden “Tokens,” with the letter M (member) or initials of the church on them. They gathered around the long bench-like tables that stood in the aisle, and gave in their tokens. The minister then “fenced the table,” by delivering a most solemn charge to those about to partake of the emblems. While the tables were changing, one of the elders lined out the Psalm for singing. The salary each one paid was called
“stipends,” was expected to be in amount according to the
pecuniary circumstances, and was paid on the Monday after communion. The
Presbyterian churches of this country for many years sang the Psalms of David,
as translated by Frances Rouse, of
Abraham Emmet, Sr., lived near the
Robert Finney lived in Penna., elder until the organization
Andrew Steele, on of the first elders, probably lived in Penna.
Robert Linton, commissioner
John Hogg lived near Blue-Ball, was commissioner, and may have been an elder.
Thomas Sharp, Sr., lived near
Centre school house, was commissioner
Roger Lawson came from
John Thompson lived in South-Milford, died 1742.
Rowland Chambers, one of the early elders.
Robert Mackey lived near the church, appears as elder 1745 and 1769.
Robert Rowland lived at Brick-Hill, elder forty years, died 1780.
Theophilus Alexander lived in New-Munster, remarkable for good sense, died 1768.
Amos Alexander, brother of Theophilus, lived in New-Munster, died 1780.
Matthew Taylor, died 1784.
Thomas Sharp, Jr., lived near Centre school house, elder over thirty years, died 1785.
Philip Tanner owned fulling mill where the road from Rock church to Hickory Hill crosses little Elk, elder nearly 40 years, daughter married Rev. James Power, died 1795.
Samuel Whan bought White-Hall farm, in 1787, of Rev. James Finley, elder as late as 1792.
George Lawson, grandson of Roger, lived at Fair-Hill, died 1791.
John Lawson, brother of George, lived
David Wherry lived near
Samuel McKeown lived near North-East, died 1804.
William Mackey lived near the church, was elder in 1792.
James Mackey, cousin of William, and elder about the same time.
Samuel Maffit lived near Union M. E. Church; earnest christian, elder nearly forty years, died 1815.
Thomas Maffit, brother of Samuel, lived in North-East, wise, prudent and very pious, elder many years, died 1815.
Samuel Beatty lived in
Andrew Mearns, lived near
James Kilgore lived above Lord’s factory, died 1834.
James Steele lived near Blue Ball, died 1838.
Joseph Steele, son of James.
William Cochran lived near
William Boone lived where the road from Rock church to
Hickory Hill crosses Mason and
Robert Christie lived near Centre school house, died 1841.
William Mackey, nephew of William the elder, lived near the church, died 1845.
William Wherry, son of David the elder [he was son of David Jr.—SWC], lived near Hickory Hill, died 1854.
Abraham D. Mitchell lived at Fair-Hill, died 1841.
John Mearns lived near North-East, died 1869,and buried at North-East. The three last named elders were
Matthew Gallagher lived near
C. C. Brokaw, Walter Armstrong and James Mackey, ordained
Robert Hodgson, ordained
John T. DeWitt, ordained
The elders are selected from families that are usually
active in the church, and it would be interesting had we the facts and the
space, to record more of their history. How very few of those names once so
prominent in this church, and familiar in this community, are known here
to-day? The Lawsons, the Sharps, the Whans, the Alexanders, the
Tanners, the Maffits, the Halls, and the Mitchells were large families and extensive land-holders,
and for many years the chief supporters of this church, but they have left us
and to most of us their very names are strange sounds. How soon they that know
us shall know us no more forever! The mortal remains of many of those fathers
and mothers in
It was rededicated July 4th. Rev. R. H. Allen, D.D., of
The present church is a gothic stone building; has pews of grained ash, with walnut trimmings, a walnut pulpit, three chandeliers, and stained glass windows; a most comfortable session house, a very neat yard of walls and fences, and seventeen horse sheds.
It has 60 families, 130 members and 100 sabbath-school scholars. The salary and current expenses are raised by the Envelope System, which was introduced October 1st, and promises success. This congregation was never large, nor the mass of its members wealthy; but it has had among its members many devoted christians. The Rock has, in its history, had some severe trials, when its friends feared that it would never weather the
storms or survive the spiritual famine; but it can truly say: “I have been young and now am old, yet have not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.”
A son of Thomas Sharp, sr., was a member of the Continental Congress.
In the latter part of the last century, Abraham Mitchell came from Lancaster co.,
The tall bony frame of Richard Brookens, M.D., was a familiar form in
the families of this vicinity for years. He died
William Mackey, the elder, who died in 1845, was a general in the militia of 1812.
Old Master Henry and Master James Patton were thorough teachers, and made lasting
impressions on their numerous pupils. Of these persons, and many others, we
might write with interest; but our aim has been to record a history of the
In pursuance of an Act of the General Assembly of the State of Maryland, for incorporating certain persons in every Christian church or congregation, passed November session, 1802, and after public notice given in said congregation, the heads of families met at their church, the Rev. Samuel Leacock, Moderator, and Samuel Maffit, Clerk, constituted with prayer. They having read, considered and approved the law, agreed to carry it into effect; and adopted the following rules as the Constitution of their corporation:
First. That in all gifts, conveyances, or other instruments of writing belonging to, and for the benefit of said congregation, it shall be known and denominated and distinguished by the Rock Presbyterian Church in North Milford Hundred, Cecil county, State of Maryland.
Secondly. That for the better management of the temporalities of the said Rock Presbyterian Church, there shall be a corporation, or body politic, vested in a number of trustees, not exceeding nine. That three of said nine trustees first named shall go out of office annually, by rotation, and shall be replaced by three persons, to be chosen by the congregation at their annual meeting for that purpose.
Thirdly. That whereas, by the said General Act of Incorporation, the qualifications of persons to be elected trustees, and to be particularly known and described, and whereas, the duties of the deacons mentioned in the Directory, or Constitution, authorized by the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church, are transferred to the trustees of this corporation; Resolved, therefore, that the said trustees shall possess the same qualifications, and be received into their office on the same conditions as formerly were the deacons.
Fourthly. Resolved, that all free white male inhabitants being members of said church, and twenty-one years of age, contributing to the support of the Gospel in said congregation, shall vote for, and may be voted in as, trustees; and that the said free male white inhabitants of the Rock Presbyterian Church shall meet on the fifteenth day of this inst., in said church, and then and there elect, by ballot, nine of the most sober, sensible and discreet members of said church; which nine persons of said church shall be styled Trustees of the Rock Presbyterian Church; and that the said trustees, or a majority of them, shall be a board to transact all business relative to said corporation; and that in case of death, removal or resignation of any of the trustees, so that the number be reduced under the number of five, then, and in that case, after public notice being given in said church, the
members of said church may meet, as aforesaid, and elect other Trustees to fill the vacancy that may hereafter happen in said congregation.
Fifthly. We resolve, that a registry shall be made of all the present members of our church and congregation, and also of their children who are twenty-one years old, and of all other professing christians who may hereafter be admitted members of this church by its elders; and that in the said registry there shall be a true record made of all baptisms and of all marriages happening in the bounds of this congregation. Said registry shall be kept by the Clerk for the time being, of the said corporation.
Sixthly. Resolved, that in the first week of September 1904, and in the first week in September annually forever, public notice being first given, the members of said church shall there meet, and there elect by ballot, three of the most sensible, wise and discreet members of said church, according to rule the second.
Concluded with prayer.
Rock Presbyterian Church, in North Milford Hundred,
September 15th, 1803
The heads of families of said church met according to public notice given; constituted with prayer; Rev. Samuel Leacock, Moderator, Samuel Maffit Clerk; when it appeared, a fair vote being first taken by ballot, that James Mackey, Esq., Samuel Maffit, Esq., Robert Cochran, Thomas Maffit, Esq., James Mackey, jr., Ebenezer Wherry, Andrew Marns, John McCrery and Hugh Guy were elected as trustees of the Rock Presbyterian Church in North Milford.
Concluded with prayer.
State of Maryland, Cecil County, ss.
Be it remembered, that on the first day of December 1803, came before us Tobs. Rudolph and John Evans, two of the Justices of the Peace for said county, Samuel Maffit, Robert Cochran, Thomas Maffit, James Mackey, jr., Andrew Marns and John McCrery, trustees, or members of the Corporation of the congregation of the Rock Presbyterian Church in North Milford Hundred, in the county of Cecil aforesaid, and did jointly acknowledge the aforegoing plan, agreement or regulations, to be those adopted by the said church, pursuant to the Act of Assembly for incorporating certain persons in every christian church or congregation in the State of Maryland, passed in the session of 1802.
Rev. J. Henry Johns.
C. C. Brokaw
Robert H. Hodgson
John McCrery, President
C. C. Brokaw, Secretary
Dr. S. W. Morrison, Treasurer
James A. Mackey
John B. Mackey
John T. DeWitt
Robert H. Hodgson
NOTE: Throughout this transcription I have endeavored to reproduce as accurately as possible the exact text as found. I have departed from that practice here. In the original, the names were listed in an apparently random order (possibly in the order of union with the church). For the convenience of the reader, I have listed them alphabetically by surname, then by first name. [SWC]
William C. Alexander
Amelia E. Armstrong
James C. Armstrong
Mary J. Armstrong
Rebecca L. Blair
C. C. Brokaw
Emma L. Brokaw
Margaret J. Brokaw
William H. Brokaw
Mary E. Brown
Susan J. Bye
Martha M. Campbell
Maria A. Clemson
M. Ella Cole
Anna M. DeWitt
Anna T. DeWitt
John T. DeWitt
Mary D. S. DeWitt
E. A. Garver
Margaret A. Gibson
Esther E. Hall
Maria E. Hess
Margaret A. Hodgson
R. H. Hodgson
Martha R. Holland
James C. Hume
Sarah A. Hume
Walter A. Huston
Joseph R. Jefferis
Mary A. D. Jefferis
John H. Kimble
Anna M. Levis
Harriet S. Levis
Joseph K. Levis
Charlotte P. Mackey
Deborah A. Mackey
Elizabeth L. Mackey
James A. Mackey
John B. Mackey
Martha E. Mackey
Mary T. Mackey
Mary R. Mackie
Anna M. McCauley
Jacob D. McConnell
Maria L. McCrea
Albert T. McCrery
Rachel J. McVey
S. Wilmer Morrison
Sadie H. Morrison
Margaret A. Moss
Salina A. Peterson
Elizabeth G. Pierce
Emeline Quin 
Mary E. Quin 
Rachel A. Ramsey
E. Genetta Reynolds
Mary A. Reynolds
Rachel E. Reynolds
T. Taylor Reynolds
Andrew M. Russell
H. Amelia Scott
Lavina S. Scott
M. Helen Scott
M. Rebecca Steele
Sarah B. Steele
P. Jane Thompson
Sarah M. Warren
T. T. Woollens
Elizabeth M. Yerkes
[The names in this list and the next are alphabetical by surname; they are mostly as found, with some corrections in the order of surnames.—SWC]
NAME DATE OF DEATH AGE
Charlotte Alexander, April 1843, 60 y.
Samuel Alexander, September 20th, 1826, 66 y.
Jane Alexander, March 11th, 1819, 56 y.
Jane Alexander, March 5th, 1815,
John Alexander, July 1817
Susanna Armstrong, February 19th, 1818, 64 y.
James Armstrong, October 4th, 1823, 55 y.
William Armstrong, January 20th, 1826, 72 y.
William Armstrong, April 24th, 1826, 21 y.
John K. Armstrong, April 20th, 1827, 23 d.
Susan J. Armstrong, April 22d, 1828, 14 y. 1 m. 25 d.
Amelia Armstrong, March 24th, 1831, 6 y. 5 m. 20 d.
William Armstrong, June 29th, 1837, 46 y. 7 d.
Hannah Armstrong, October 29th, 1846,
M. Adelaide Armstrong, April 4th, 1853, 1 y. 10 m. 11 d.
John Armstrong, August 31, 1851, 32 y. 6 m. 12 d.
Carrie M. Armstrong, August 23d, 1858, 9 m. 15 d.
Agnes Armstrong, May 9th, 1861, 11 d.
Mary Armstrong, January 1st, 1871, 95 y.
Anna D. Armstrong, April 5th, 1872, 81 y. 1 m. 14 d.
Alexander Black, December 26th, 1750, 28 y.
Richard Cross, October 25th, 1796, 29 y.
Samuel Cummings, September 1st, 1829,
John Cummings, December 2d, 1818, 33 y.
William Ewing, February 1837 75 y.
Andrew Hall, January 31st, 1846, 78 y.
Margaret Hall, October 28th, 1853, 70 y.
Jane Halhoyne, December 15th, 1743, 14 y.
John Hewey, May 6th, 1747, 18 y.
James Hill, March 20th, 1746, 99 y.
Sarah Hill, 1775, 46 y.
Jane Hill, September 4th, 1831, 83 y.
James Hill, October 12th, 1833, 79 y.
NAME DATE OF DEATH AGE
Samuel Hill, March 7th, 1815, 82 y.
Mary Hill, April 25th, 1842, 58 y.
Roger Lawson, 1733,
George Lawson, 1791,
Jane Lawson, October 24th, 1754, 46 y.
Samuel Lowrey, 1820, 6 y.
Thomas Lowrey, 1828, 25 y.
William Lowrey, 1829, 24 y.
James Lowrey, 1850, 76 y.
Mary Lowrey, 1858, 77 y.
James Mackey, June 24th, 1834, 70 y.
Sarah Mackey, November 23d, 1836, 65 y.
James Mackey, June 5th, 1847, 58 y.
Ann Mackey, October 25th, 1824, 30 y.
William Mackey, April 7th, 1845, 58 y. 3 m. 4 d.
Jane Mackey, January 13th, 1828, 34 y.
Catharine J. Mackey, August 20th, 1824, 10 m.
David E. Mackey, March 18th, 1825, 8 y.
James Alfred Mackey, October 1st, 1837, 18 y. 6 m. 9 d.
Rachel J. Mackey, March 7th, 1865, 65 y. 3 m. 14 d.
James Maffit, 1806, 32 y.
Mary Maffit, June 30th, 1806, 59 y. 5 m.
Samuel Maffit, May 31st, 1815, 73 y.
Thomas Maffit, January 25th, 1815, 76 y.
Ann Maffit, April 29th, 1823, 77 y.
Sarah Maffit, February 20th, 1849, 67 y.
Mary Maffit, February 14th, 1857, 81 y.
John S. Maffit, April 29th, 1851, 79 y.
Anna M. Maffit, March 29th, 1858, 57 y.
Margaret E. Maffit, May 31st, 1871, 64 y.
Hugh Mahaffey, November 18th, 1749, 26 y.
M. Fulton McConnell, August 19th, 1845, 31 y.
Jane McCracken, March 2d, 1857, 76 y.
James McCracken, March 4th, 1859, 79 y.
Mary McCracken, February 16th, 1865, 82 y.
Emma McCreary, August 30th, 1849, 6 y.
James Meadian, 1748, 37 y.
Andrew Mearns, October 31st, 1824, 68 y.
NAME DATE OF DEATH AGE
Jane Maffit Mearns, September 3d, 1836, 31 y.
Samuel Moore, August 12th, 1857, 67 y. 4 m. 16 d.
Agnes Moore, June 23d, 1857, 73 y. 2 m. 13 d.
Esler Moore, April 1823, 19 y. 6 m. 5 d.
Rebecca Moore, June 1830, 2 y. 1 m. 5 d.
John Null, 1828, 3 y.
------- Oglesbeys, 1757, 57 y.
------- Oglesbeys, 1728, 2 y.
Mary Rankin, February 23d, 1851, 36 y.
Wallace Riney, August 7th, 1750, 7 y.
Jane Sherer, 1849, 45 y.
Martha M. Sherer, April 7th, 1861, 63 y.
Mary Speak, 1837, 70 y.
Archibald Steele, June 20th, 1745, 28 y.
James Steele, November 30th, 1838, 95 y. 9 m. 6 d.
Elizabeth Steele, August 22d, 1837, 82 y. 9 m. 5 d.
Joseph Steele, May 16th, 1840, 2 d.
Samuel Steele, January 29th, 1842,
Alexander Steele, jr., February 7th, 1849, 20 y. 2 m. 8 d.
Rachel A. Steele, January 24th, 1855, 14 y. 1 m.
David Steele, September 1838, 65 y.
Jane Steele, October 1854, 70 y.
Anna Tanner, June 6th, 1759, 15 y.
Mary Tanner, March 17th, 1761, 64 y.
Philip Tanner, jr., August 13th, 1781, 28 y.
Elizabeth Tanner, August 25th, 1781, 30 y.
Philip Tanner, sr., May 1st, 1795, 78 y.
Elizabeth Tanner, November 8th, 1797, 81 y.
Hugh Tanner, December 9th, 1797, 41 y.
Margaret Tyson, June 8th, 1859, 62 y.
Nathan Tyson, June 13th, 1871, 79 y.
Jane Wilson, February 26th, 1747, 38 y.
Ann Wilson, May 11th, 1828, 30 y.
John F. Wilson, January 31st, 1842, 48 y.
John Wilson, July 26th, 1844, 82 y.
Matthew Wilson, January 10th, 1838, 75 y.
David Wayye [sic]; 1743, 73 y.
NAME DATE OF DEATH AGE
Martha Abernatha, July 23d, 1815, 11 y.
Esther Abernatha, November 21st, 1815, 5 y.
James Abernatha, February 23d, 1860, 81 y.
Elizabeth Abernatha, March 25th, 1862, 76 y.
Elizabeth Alexander, May 4th, 1859, 50 y.
Sarah Alexander, April 17th, 1842, 4 y.
W. A. Alexander, May 17th, 1841, 2 y.
Catherine Alexander, May 20th, 1814, 78 y.
Andrew Alexander, November 26th, 1840, 73 y.
Joseph Alexander, July 10th, 1860, 84 y.
Amos P. Alexander, October 6th, 1835, 4 y.
Walker J. Alexander, October 19th, 1851, 2 y.
Eliza Alexander, February 6th, 1851, 47 y. 9 m. 22 d.
Thomas Alexander, July 18th, 1864, 69 y. 1 m. 11 d.
John T. Alexander, May 23d, 1853, 25 y. 3 m. 1 d.
Samuel C. Alexander, February 1st, 1858, 23 y. 2 m. 13 d.
Wilmer A. Alexander, December 26th, 1864, 6 m. 16
John T. Aoexander, February 25, 1866, 4 m. 20 d.
Margaret A. Alexander, January 23d, 1866, 15 y. 1 m. 9
Elizabeth H. Blackburn, August 31st, 1847, 48 y.
Mary Blackburn, October 18th, 1847, 85 y.
Jane Blackburn, February 22d, 1859, 63 y.
Julia L. T. Brokaw, September 9th, 1855, 22 y. 6 m.
John B. Campbell, August 18th, 1852, 5 y.
David L. Campbell, July 21st, 1847, 2 y.
Mary Chapman, October 15th, 1861, 29 y.
Robert Christy, November 30th, 1841, 75 y.
Elizabeth Christy, March 9th, 1849, 84 y.
Robert Christy, jr. May 20th, 1856, 51 y.
Thomas Cochran, October 14th, 1833,
William Cochran, April 28th, 1839,
Robert Cochran, 80 y.
Elizabeth Cochran, 80 y.
Joseph Cochran, 25 y.
Sarah Cochran, 20 y.
Ann R. Collom, 1827, 4 y.
NAME DATE OF DEATH AGE
James Cowan, July 20th, 1824, 8 y.
Joseph Cowan, August 15th, 1825, 25 y.
David Cowan, August 1826, 18 y.
David Cowan, October 1826, 80 y.
John Cowan, sr., October 4th, 1833, 65 y.
Martha Cowan, December 10th, 1846, 77 y.
William B. Cowan, August 10th, 1849, 38 y. 7 m. 9 d.
John Cowan, December 12, 1850, 45 y.
Mary Cowan, September 16th, 1861, 75 y.
Mary A. DeWitt, January 29th, 1851, 8 y.
Sarah A. Dixon, November 21st, 1835, 1 y. 3 m.
John Duncan, June 1854, 70 y.
Albert Ewing, February 1828, 1 y.
Ann Ewing, 1832, 42 y.
Lydia S. Ferguson, January 29th, 1866, 36 y.
James Finley, jr., November 17th, 1772, 4 y.
George A. Fulton, July 26th, 1858, 67 y.
Andrew J. Fulton, January 19th, 1844, 15 y.
William H. Gallagher, September 1846, 11 y. 6 m.
Matthew Gallagher, April 15th, 1862, 65 y.
Letitia Gallagher, January 8th, 1866, 67 y.
William Geery, September 19th, 1824, 28 y.
Ann Geery, January 10th, 1841, 67 y.
Hugh Geery, March 7th, 1841, 72 y.
Andrew Gibson, July 29th, 1860, 75 y.
Mary A. Gibson, November 9th, 1857, 58 y.
Sarah A. Gibson, May 2d, 1851, 21 y.
Andrew A. Gibson, August 11th, 1864, 25 y.
William Gibson, September 16th, 1851, 61 y.
Catharine Gibson, June 22d, 1858, 61 y. 7 m. 29 d.
John Gibson, August 13th, 1843, 23 y. 2 m. 19 d.
William Gibson, March 11th, 1858, 31 y. 10 m. 8 d.
John Gibson, February 2d, 1871, 70 y.
Lydia Gibson, August 4th, 1871, 24 y. 10 m.
Anna M. Green, December 24th, 1846, 3 d.
Harriet Green, December 17th, 1847, 6 y.
Harriet Green, June 12th, 1864, 54 y.
W. Price Green, December 1865, 29 y.
Mary A. Harper, July 5th, 1863, 21 y.
Elizabeth R. Hall, January 1866, 70 y.
NAME DATE OF DEATH AGE
Ann Hall, November 1855,
Mary A. Hill, February 4th, 1846, 58 y.
Robert Hodgson, January 3d, 1845, 79 y.
Sarah Hodgson, October 28th, 1827, 59 y.
James Hodgson, June 10th, 1837, 67 y.
Margaret Hodgson, October 22d, 1821, 46 y.
James B. Hodgson, June 7th, 1833, 33 y.
Elizabeth G. Hodgson, April 18th, 1845, 48 y.
Mary E. Hodgson, September 10th, 22 y.
George G. Hodgson, October 1855, 21 y.
Robert J. Hughes, September 1842, 1 y.
Martha J. Hughes, February 17th, 1851, 37 y.
Rebecca E. Hughes, June 20th, 1854, 18 y.
Frank Hughes, November 12th, 1855, 3 y.
Elizabeth Hughes, September 12th, 1857, 2 y.
William C. Hughes, 1859, 1 y.
Carrie V. Hughes, October 2d, 1863, 2 y.
Robert Hughes, January 22d, 1850, 79 y. 8 m. 22 d.
Martha Hughes, February 19th, 1855, 82 y. 3 m. 14 d.
Margaret J. Hughes, February 3d, 1850, 41 y. 5 m. 21 d.
James Hunter, May 26th, 1846, 62 y.
Esther D. Hunter, January 2d, 1855, 70 y.
John Johnson, March 25th, 1851, 88 y.
Lewis J. Jones, June 9th, 1855, 50 y.
Rachel Jones, June 5th, 1866, 62 y.
Sarah Karr, September 13th, 1802, 6 y.
William Karr, January 31st, 1817, 25 y.
Ann Karr, April 11th, 1822, 27 y.
Robert Karr, January 11th, 1842, 82 y.
Catharine Karr, March 1st, 1844, 84 y.
Eleanor Kimble, December 14th, 1849, 25 y. 6 m.
John La Tourrette, August 3d, 1860, 91 y.
Walter A. Levis, October 12th, 1866, 2 y.
Amanda Levis, September 30th, 1872, 23 y.
David Mackey, March 1st, 1851, 1 y.
David Mackey, October 29th, 1863, 53 y.
Emeline Mackey, December 25th, 1843, 29 y.
Wallace Mackey, December 1861, 74 y. 11 m.
John Maffit, May 7th, 1825, 55 y.
John H. Maffit, September 1st, 1833, 24 y.
Anna Maffit, January 19th, 1872, 87 y. 6 m. 9 d.
NAME DATE OF DEATH AGE
Rev. George Marshall, February 27th, 1861, 30 y.
Isabella Marshall, April 8th, 1864, 29 y.
William Marshall, January 29th, 1860, 2 m.
Georgiana L. Marshall, February 20th, 1862, 6 m.
William McCauley, September 26th, 1852, 24 y.
Hannah M. McCauley, March 31st, 1859, 5 y. 1 m. 25 d.
James T. McCauley, January 25th, 1868, 9 y. 4 m. 24 d.
John McCleary, August 16th, 1835, 60 y.
Ann McCleary, December 21st, 1863, 76 y.
Jacob P. McCleary, September 30th, 1847, 1 y. 4 m.
Ann J. McCleary, April 20th, 1842, 2 y.
Sophia McCrery, March 30th, 1855, 48 y.
Sarah J. McCrery, February 26th, 1864, 25 y.
Ann McCullough, September 15th, 1855, 80 y.
Andrew H. Mearns, June 25th, 1822, 1 y. 4 m. 5 d.
John M. Mearns, September 2d, 1849, 26 y. 8 m. 5 d.
Hugh T. Mearns, April 13th, 1850, 31 y. 2 m. 19 d.
Hugh Mearns, September 6th, 1862, 65 y.
Nancy Mearns, January 14th, 1859, 65 y.
Sarah Mearns, May 12th, 1864, 69 y. 9 m. 4 d.
George B. Miller, June 23d, 1864, 57 y. 7 m. 2 d.
William Milligan, June 20th, 1858, 57 y.
Margaret Milligan, July 19th, 1871, 74 y.
Margaret E. Milligan, April 4th, 1841, 5 y.
Abraham D. Mitchell, December 6th, 1841, 55 y.
Jane T. Mitchell, June 21st, 1851, 51 y.
Ephraim T. Mitchell, May 11th, 1864, 45 y.
A. David Mitchell, October 30th, 1864, 31 y.
Martha Moore, January 5th, 1853, 69 y.
George Mullein, February 4th, 1867, 68 y.
William G. Neals, December 27th, 1868, 22 y. 8 m. 7 d.
Mary J. Perry, 1817, 4 y.
Matthew Perry, 1819, 70 y.
Susan Perry, 1834, 43 y.
William Perry, April 13th, 1831,
Mary Perry, April 9th, 1838, 56 y.
James Perry, October 6th, 1810, 8 y.
John Perry, January 20th, 1849, 41 y.
Sarah Perry, July 16th, 1842, 24 y. 11 m.
Martha Pierce, April 16th, 1854, 43 y.
Ann Peterson, December 27th, 1859, 78 y.
Tobias Peterson, March 5th, 1867, 83 y.
NAME DATE OF DEATH AGE
John Phillips, 1824, 24 y.
Robert H. Powel, January 1753, 64 y.
Lillie W. Quinn, September 15th, 1870, 6 y. 
Rebecca Ramsey, February 5th, 1841, 24 y. 5 m. 2 d.
Rebecca Ramsey, December 16th, 1842, 52 y. 3 m. 18 d.
Mary Ramsey, June 17, 1843, 32 y. 7 m. 1 d.
Thomas Ramsey, May 17th, 1849, 61 y.
Martha Ramsey, August 18th, 1851, 30 y. 8 m. 2 d.
Margaret A. Ramsey, November 10, 1852, 20 y. 2 m. 28 d.
James S. Ramsey, January 25th, 1866, 82 y. 2 m. 28 d.
Catharine Ramsey, October 18th, 1867, 70 y. 4 m. 25 d.
Sarah Ramsey, December 6, 1869, 84 y.
William Robinson, 1824, 70 y.
Margaret Robinson, 1844, 90 y.
Isabella Rowland, December 22d, 1779, 73 y.
Robert Rowland, September 22d, 1780, 85 y.
Mary A. Scarborough, April 23d, 1863, 32 y. 10 m. 9 d.
Sarah Ann Scott, January 1837,
Mary Ellen Scott, 1838, 30 y.
Philip Scott, January 1856, 48 y.
Emeline Scott, February 20th, 1860, 22 y.
W. Thompson Scott, December 8th, 1865, 33 y.
Richard E. Scott, July 21st, 1865, 6 m.
Joseph Sentman, April 1st, 1842, 52 y.
Joseph Sentman, jr., February 25th, 1858, 32 y.
Jesse C. Sentman, October 28th, 1854, 28 y.
Mary S. Sentman, March 12th, 1855, 1 m.
Sarah A. Sentman, February 16th, 1858, 3 y.
Johnston P. Sentman, September 7th, 1864, 15 y.
Mary Sentman, August 31st, 1865, 78 y.
Thomas Sharpe, jr., November 11th, 1785, 67 y.
Martha Sherer, July 17th, 1864, 63 y.
John V. M. Staats, August 26th, 1852, 5 y.
Mary Ann Steele, December 28th, 1849, 5 y.
Mary R. Steele, July 5th, 1872, 5 m. 28 d.
John Strawbridge, July 31st, 1768,
Jane Strawbridge, April 7th, 1799,
George P. Sutton, September 23d, 1847, 8 d.
Thomas P. Sutton, June 15th, 1855, 52 y.
Elizabeth Sutton, August 13th, 1858, 55 y.
NAME DATE OF DEATH AGE
Ruth A. Vinsinger,
Margaret M. Wherry,
Hannah J. Wherry,
Henrietta M. Wherry, May 27th, 1851,
Ann E. Wherry,
Margaret A. Wherry,
William C. Wherry,
Alexander, Amos, 25
Alexander, Rev. Joseph, 21, 23
Alexander, Theophilus, 21, 25
Allen, John, 23
Allen, Rev. R. H., 26
Allison, Judge, 23
Armstrong, Walter, 26, 30
Barr, Robert, 23
Beatty, Samuel, 25
Blair, Rev. Samuel, 12
Boone. William, 25
Bradford, James, 23
Brokaw, C. C., 26, 30
Brookens, Richard, M.D., 27
Burton, Rev. John, 15
Caldwell, Thomas, 8
Chambers, Rowland, 24
Christie, Robert, 25
Cochran, Robert, 29
Cochran, William, 25
Communion, early practice, 23
Craighead, Rev. Thomas, 9
Craighead, Thomas, 10
Cross, Robert, 8
Davies (Pres. of Princeton), 21
DeWitt, John, 30
DeWitt, John T., 26
DeWitt, Rev. A., 26
DeWitt, Rev. Abraham, 17, 19
Donnelly, Rev. Samuel J., 23
DuBois, Rev. R. P., 16, 26
Dunlap, Rev. James, 20, 21
Dunlap, Rev. William, 21
Emmet, Abraham Sr., 10, 24
Evans, Alexander, 27
Evans, Amos, 27
Evans, Capt. John, 27
Evans, John, 15
Evans, Robert, 15, 27
Evans, Thomas, 10
Finley, Ebenezer, 12, 23
Finley, Hannah (Evans), 15
Finley, James Jr., 15
Finley, John Evans, 15
Finley, Joseph, 23
Finley, Michael, 23
Finley, Rev. James, 12, 20, 21, 23, 27
Finley, Rev. John Evans, 21
Finley, Rev. Robert, 15
Finley, Rev. Samuel, 12
Finley, Samuel, 23
Finley, William, 23
Finney, Robert, 10, 24
Fleming, James, 23
Fleming, Samuel, 23
Gallagher, Matthew, 26
Gillespie, George, 8
Graham, Henry, 23
Graham, Rev. Robert, 17, 19
Guy, Hugh, 29
Hall, Rev. Isaac, 22
Head of Elk Church, 12
Henry, master, 22
Hindman, Rev. Francis, 16, 20, 21
Hodgson, Robert, 26
Hodgson, Robert H., 30
Hoge, William, 10
Hogg, John, 24
Houston, Rev. Joseph, 10
Hutcheson, Alexander, 10
Hutcheson, Rev. Alexander, 9
Jardine, Rev. Andrew, 17
Johns, Rev. J. H., 30
Johns, Rev. J. H. (present pastor), 18, 23, 26
Junkin, Rev. George, 22
Kidd, George, 22
Kilgore, James, 25
Latta, Francis Allison, 20
Latta, James, 20
Latta, John Ewing, 20
Latta, Rev. James, 20
Latta, Rev. John E., 16
Latta, William, 20
Lawson, George, 25
Lawson, John, 25
Lawson, Roger, 10, 24
Leacock, Rev. Samuel, 16, 28, 29
Lewis, Jonathan, 30
Linton, Robert, 10, 24
Mackey, James, 25, 26
Mackey, James, 29
Mackey, James A., 30
Mackey, James Jr., 29
Mackey, John B., 30
Mackey, Robert, 24
Mackey, William, 25, 26, 27
Maffit, Rev. William, 21
Maffit, Samuel, 21, 25, 28, 29
Maffit, Thomas, 25, 29
Marns, Andrew, 29
Marshal, Rev. George, 18
Marshall, Rev. George, 19
McCrery, John, 29, 30
McDowel, Rev. Alexander, 11, 20
McDowell, Judge, 23
McGill, Rev. Daniel, 9
McKeown, Samuel, 25
Mearns, Andrew, 25
Mearns, John, 26
Miller, Rev. T. B., 21
Miller, Rev. Thomas, 21
Mitchell, Abraham, 27
Mitchell, Abraham D., 26, 27
Mitchell, Arthur W., 27
Mitchell, Dr. H. H., 27
Mitchell, George E., 27
Moffat, Samuel, 13
Moore, Robert, 23
Morrison, Dr. S. W., 30
Mouth of Octoraro Church, 10
New London Church, 10
New-Side Congregation, 11, 12
Old-Side Congregation, 11
Patton, Henry, 27
Patton, James, 27
Platt, Dr., 16
Porter, Rev. J. G., 26
Power, Rev. James, 25
Powers, John, 23
Ramsey, James, 22
Ramsey, Rev. James Beverlin, 22
Reed, Thomas, 8
Rehoboth Church, 15
Rigg, Rev. J. D., 26
Round-Hill Church, 15
Rouse, Francis, 24
Rowland, Robert, 25
Sharp, Thomas, 8, 13, 27
Sharp, Thomas Jr., 25
Sharp, Thomas Sr., 24
Sharpe, Thomas, 23
Smith, James, 8
Smith, Rev.Mr., 12
Steel, Andrew, 10
Steele, Andrew, 24
Steele, James, 25
Steele, Joseph, 25
Strahorn, Thomas, 30
Tanner, Philip, 12, 25
Taylor, Matthew, 25
Thompson, John, 24
Watts, Isaac, 24
Waugh, Mary (Platt), 16
Waugh, Rev. John, 16
West Nottingham Church, 12
Whan, Samuel, 25
Wherry, David, 25
Wherry, Ebenezer, 29
Wherry, William, 26
Whitefield, Rev. George, 11
Wilson, Rev. Matthew, 20
Wilson, William, 22
Wright, John, 23
Young, Rev. Samuel, 9
Young, Samuel, 8
 Rev. Johns in writing this book spelled the name “McDowel” in most cases, but in a few cases he spelled it “McDowell.”. [SWC]
 The Newark Academy was started in New London in 1741 by the Rev. Francis Allison. In 1745 it moved to Elkton, Maryland, and then, in 1769, to Newark, Delaware. This was the beginning of the University of Delaware. [SWC]
 Dr. Francis Alison founded the New London Academy, which later moved to Newark, DE, and became the University of Delaware. Later, at the invitation of Benjamin Franklin, he established the Philadelphia Academy which became the University of Pennsylvania.
 Although he was not associated with Rock Church, it might be noted here that Mr. Finley’s brother, the Rev. Samuel Finley, founded a school in neighboring West Nottingham, MD, known as Finley’s School, later as the West Nottingham Academy, for the purpose of educating men for the ministry. The school, which is still in operation, is the oldest preparatory school for boys in America, and is the oldest existing Presbyterian educational institution of any kind in the New World. Among the students at Dr. Finley’s school were two signers of the Declaration of Independence, six members of the Continental Congress (one of whom was also a signer of the U. S. Constitution), two governors, the founder of the first medical school in America (University of Pennsylvania), and several others who became well-known ministers, jurists, physicians and educators of their day. Dr. Finley later became president of the College of New Jersey, now Princeton University. [SWC]
 David Wherry; appears on his gravestone as Warrey.—SWC
 The following is submitted by Jim Turner [email@example.com]
The Rev. J. H. Johns 'History of the Rock Presbyterian Church' pg. #34 (persons buried in Sharp's Graveyard) incorrectly lists one 'Lillie W. Quinn' (pg. #38). This individual is in fact Lillie W. QUEIN*, my g.g. aunt. This error has been perpetuated in the records of the Hist. Soc. of Cecil Co. at Elkton. The following is a list individuals buried in Sharp's Cemetery surnamed QUEIN:
Robert Quein 1820-1904
Emeline Morrison Quein 1821-1876 (daug. of David Morrison 3 of New London, Pa. and Elizabeth Morrison 1799-1891 buried Cherry Hill Methodist, maiden name unk. b. Md.
Lillie W. Quein 1865-1870
Effie Quein infant
John Wanamaker Quein 1847-1930
Sarah E. Murphy Quein 1855-1937 daug. of Wm. J. Murphy and Mahalah C. Wooden. both of Md.
George Algernon Quein 1873-1922 (my maternal grandfather)
Claudia E. Quein 1918-1918
The surname Quein, is an alternate spelling of (M') Queen. Scots-Irish.
 The following is submitted by Jim Turner [firstname.lastname@example.org]
The Mary E. 'Quin', mentioned is in fact Mary E. Quein Stewart 12/13/1850-10/20/1888.
Emeline 'Quin' is Emeline Morrison Quein, her mother.